CUUS上纽约时报啦~ (also ft. Grinnell)

Nov 24, 2009
[i=s] 本帖最后由 gonnastop 于 2011-2-12 11:02 PM 编辑 [/i]

点这里看原文

几个highlights

1. The brochures, though they are almost never read by admissions officers, are a sign of Grinnell’s success marketing itself in China — a plan that has paid off in important ways, like diversifying the student body and attracting students who can sometimes pay full tuition. (后文多次提到brochures会被扔进垃圾桶)

2. At rural Grinnell, nearly one of every 10 applicants being considered for the class of 2015 is from China.

3. But that success — following a 30 percent increase last year in the number of Chinese studying in the United States — has created a problem for admissions officers.

4. Consider, for example, that half of Grinnell’s applicants from China this year have perfect scores of 800 on the math portion of the SAT.

5. But the most accomplished applicants will have grades in the 70s or 80s, because Chinese schools tend to grade on a far less generous curve than American high schools.

6. Then there is the challenge of assessing an applicant’s command of English, since some Chinese families have been known to hire “agents” to write the application essay.

7. A young woman from Shanghai, for example, who had scored 800 on the math portion of the SAT, and nearly 600 on the main verbal section, impressed Mr. Edwards with an essay that described her volunteering at a rehabilitation center, where a young autistic boy captured her heart.
“Such a hopeless boy evoked my strong feeling to help him and love him,” she wrote. “As time passed by, I found he was interested in hearing the special sound of the piano and was gifted in playing piano.”
The applicant was admitted to Grinnell in its early decision round last fall.
(她在CUUS吗...笑)

8. Chinese applicants have also been learning about Grinnell and other American colleges and universities through a popular Chinese Web site, cuus.cn — which stands for Chinese Undergraduates in the United States, but the letters are also meant to be shorthand for “See You in the U.S.” 重点!

9. “Grinnell in My Eyes,” an article written in Chinese and posted on the site by a recent graduate, is a big bouquet to the school; the writer pays tribute to Grinnell’s flexibility (“if you don’t like the current major, you may also choose independent major”) and the dining hall (“glorious French windows.”) 原帖在这边

10. “A girl from China called the other day after lunch, which was 2 or 3 in the morning for her,” Mr. Edwards said. “She said she was calling to make sure everything in her application was complete.”
“I had to tell her to go to bed,” he said.(I did the exact same thing lolz)

11. [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#04276]JACQUES STEINBERG[/font][/color]
Are you lurking here? (welcome to cuus btw)

Nov 27, 2008
我觉得精美手册被“曝光”的孩纸们不知道是什么心情哟~ 不知道Admission有没有权力把这些东西送给媒体的。